Communications and Administrative Director
Employer: Ogeechee-Canoochee Riverkeeper, Inc.
Job Type: Full Time
Location Details: Ogeechee River Basin, Georgia
Deadline to apply: 5:00 p.m. December 24, 2019
OGEECHEE-CANOOCHEE RIVERKEEPER, INC. (the “Ogeechee Riverkeeper”), seeks a qualified professional for the position of Communications Administrative Director. Ogeechee Riverkeeper® is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization licensed by the Waterkeeper Alliance®. The mission of the Ogeechee Riverkeeper is to protect, preserve, and improve the water quality in the Ogeechee River basin. Its operating budget comes from donations, grants, and proceeds from various fundraising events. The position will be overseen by the Riverkeeper/Executive Director. The Ogeechee River is a coastal plain river with unique fish and wildlife. The watershed is home to over 500,000 people and covers portions of 22 counties. Planted pine forest, coastal sands and clays, and wetlands are major features of the landscape. Environmental concerns include impacts to fish, wildlife, public health, wetlands, tidal marshes, river water quantity and water quality from activities such as titanium and zirconium sand mining, unsustainable forestry practices, industrial discharges, solid and hazardous waste disposal sites, residential and industrial development, and invasions by exotic animals and plants. This position provides an opportunity to positively impact the environment of southeastern Georgia and to join coalitions to protect Georgia’s coast and all of Georgia’s natural waters.
- Developing and implementing annual communications plans and goals
- Creating and executing strategies to enhance visibility, increase media coverage and expand awareness and support for ORK and our issues
- Developing content for and overseeing production and distribution of all external communications (paper and e-newsletters, brochures, flyers, postcards, press releases, etc.)
- Overseeing development of content for and regularly updating website and social media channels
- Developing and executing strategies to increase traffic and engagements on ORK’s website and social media
- Creating in-house marketing and outreach materials and working with vendors on outsourced communications/materials
- Developing and maintaining current media database, media kits and article archives
- Cultivating relationships with the press
- Purchasing, and promoting sales of ORK merchandise, keeping track of inventory
- Assisting with tabling at community events to increase awareness about ORK our issues and recruit new members and volunteers
- Assisting with event coordination and execution
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain a database of volunteer information and involvement
- Respond to incoming calls and emails to email@example.com and respond or forward to Riverkeeper/Executive Director as appropriate
- Check and sort mail, with special attention to processing contributions
- Manage and maintain donor and contact database and prepare reports as required
- Bookkeeping in Quickbooks, including accounts payable and receivable and preparing information for accountants
- Assist with fundraising
- Other duties as assigned
- Extremely organized and detailed-oriented with a talent for multi-tasking
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to develop positive working relationships
- Commitment to environmental issues
- Availability on nights and weekends as required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Access to reliable transportation
- High proficiency in/ability to learn Google Drive, QuickBooks, Salsa, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, etc.
- Comfortable with fundraising and recruiting, including direct asks
- Must be a task-oriented self-starter
- Knowledge of/desire to learn development operations
- An understanding of the nature of non-profit work
- This position will often require non-traditional work hours, including frequent evening and weekend work.
- This position will require travel and access to reliable transportation
$36,000-$42,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications
How to Apply: Applications accepted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Send resumé, names of three references, and a letter stating your reasons for interest by 5:00 p.m. December 24, 2019.
After an initial screening, the following may be requested: complete curriculum vitae, college transcripts, proof of any professional certifications, and three letters of recommendation.