Community Outreach Director
Employer:Ogeechee-Canoochee Riverkeeper, Inc.
Job Type:Full Time
Location Detail:Savannah, Georgia
OGEECHEE-CANOOCHEE RIVERKEEPER, INC. (the “Ogeechee Riverkeeper”), seeks an outgoing professional for the position of Community Outreach Director. Ogeechee Riverkeeper® is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization licensed by the Waterkeeper Alliance®. The mission of the Ogeechee Riverkeeper is to protect, preserve, and improve the water quality in the Ogeechee River basin. Its operating budget comes from donations, grants, and proceeds from various fundraising events. The position will be overseen by the Riverkeeper/Executive Director.
The Ogeechee River is a coastal plain river with unique fish and wildlife. The watershed is home to over 500,000 people and covers portions of 22 counties. Planted pine forest, coastal sands and clays, and wetlands are major features of the landscape. Environmental concerns include impacts to fish, wildlife, public health, wetlands, tidal marshes, river water quantity and water quality from activities such as titanium and zirconium sand mining, forestry practices, paper mills, solid and hazardous waste disposal sites, residential and industrial development, and invasions by exotic animals and plants. This position provides an opportunity to positively impact the environment of southeastern Georgia and to join coalitions to protect Georgia’s coast and all of Georgia’s natural waters.
- Write and publish content for social media, website, email blast, and newsletters
- Help plan and coordinate ORK meetings and events
- Design and execute online fundraising and awareness campaigns
- Recruit and manage volunteers, including developing, coordinating and facilitating orientation/trainings
- Interact with and support ORK members and volunteers through events and communications in order to nurture their connection to the organization
- Develop and implement membership plans to promote membership growth
- Manage and track member renewals
- Represent and coordinate ORK’s presence at outreach events to recruit new members and promote the organization
- Purchase, inventory, and promote sales of ORK merchandise
- Organize and update member and donor email contact lists
- Track social media, email, and website analytics and create quarterly performance reports
- Create and maintain a list of media contacts and assist with writing and distributing press releases
- Maintain a database of volunteer information and involvement
- Recruit interns to support development and communications activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Proven experience in member/customer relations activities
- Good communication skills
- Proven ability to develop positive working relationships
- Commitment to environmental issue
- Availability on nights and weekends as required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Access to reliable transportation
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, etc.
- Comfortable with fundraising and recruiting, including direct asks
- Skilled at writing donor letters, membership materials, and outreach content
- Must be a task-oriented self-starter
- Knowledge of/desire to learn development operations
- An understanding of the nature of non-profit work
Salary:Commensurate with experience
How to Apply:Applications accepted by e-mail or mail. Send resumé, names of three references, minimum salary requirements, and a letter stating your reasons for interest in the position to:
PO Box 16206
Savannah, GA 31416
After an initial screening, the following may be requested: complete curriculum vitae, college transcripts, proof of any professional certifications, and three letters of recommendation.