As an Ogeechee Riverkeeper (ORK) member you are joining a community of people who care about protecting and preserving our unique natural heritage of black water rivers, sand bars, coastal marshlands, forests, and swamps for future generations of Georgians.
As a member, you will be entitled to exclusive access to members-only events and resources. Pending pandemic recovery, ORK is planning a number of outdoor activities — birding hikes, plant walks, river paddles — with expert guides. These events will be offered to members only and be of limited capacity.
Most importantly, your membership dues support ORK’s daily work across the watershed.
Our efforts include:
- actively monitoring for pollution and land use practices that would negatively impact our waterways
- organizing communities around keeping local waterways swimmable, fishable, and drinkable
- serving as a keeper of stories and histories about the river and its people
- advocating for the protection of forests, wetlands, and local ways of life that are so vital to the ecological integrity of the Ogeechee watershed.
Despite the pandemic, ORK has continued to monitor water quality, advocate for protective legislation, provide comprehensive scientific data, and more.
As an example, here are some of the costs associated with protecting the Ogeechee River basin:
- Independent lab testing for water samples – $50-$130 each, depending on the test
- Adopt-A-Stream monitoring supplies for one year – $300
- pH probe and chemicals – $85
- Dissolved oxygen probe and chemicals – $295
- Organizing, planning and hosting a paddle trip – $500-$900
- Purchase of a kayak or canoe – $300+
Part of each membership also goes towards keeping our lights on and ensuring that our water monitoring equipment remains up to date.
Thanks to your membership, Ogeechee Riverkeeper is here 365 days a year to make sure that the Ogeechee, Canoochee, and all our coastal rivers and headwater streams remain healthy for the people (and critters) who call this watershed home.
Ogeechee Riverkeeper is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with a Platinum Seal rating from GuideStar. All gifts are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.